Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Дата
Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>> So what was the conclusion here?  Is pg_migrator going to be in contrib
>> for beta2 or 3, after cleaning it up?
>
> Thanks for asking.  :-)  I can add pg_migrator to contrib by the end of
> next week, so it will be in beta2.  I will remove 8.4 as a migration
> target, which will allow the removal of some C code and documentation
> warnings.  Unless I hear otherwise, I will start on it in the next few
> days.  Total work will be < 8 hours, including testing.
>
> One outstanding question is whether we want to rename pg_migrator to
> something clearer, like pg_upgrade or pg_binary_upgrade.  (pg_upgrade
> was the original name for this migration method in the 1998.)  I am
> slightly concerned that the "migration" word is too associated with
> cross-database-product migration.  (There are no mentions of
> "pg_migrator" in our CVS now, except for an 8.4 release note item
> mention when pg_dump --binary-upgrade was added.)

I think it will be confusing if we change the name, so I vote to not
change the name.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Сообщение: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful