Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/7/21 Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com>:
> 2010/7/20 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:
>> here is a new version - new these functions are not a strict and
>> function to_string is marked as stable.
>
> We have array_to_string(anyarray, text) and string_to_array(text, text),
> and you'll introduce to_string(anyarray, text, text) and
> to_array(text, text, text).

I have to repeat it, the behave of this functions are little bit
different. string_to_array and array_to_string are buggy.

* it isn't support a NULL
* it doesn't differentiate a empty array and NULL
* we cannot to change default behave of existing functions
* array_to_string is badly marked as IMMUTABLE

> Do we think it is good idea to have different names for them?  IMHO, we'd
> better  use 3 arguments version of array_to_string() instead of the
> new to_string() ?
>

> If to_string and to_array is in the SQL standard, we can accept the
> name changes.
> But if there are no standard, I'd like to keep the existing function names.

no it isn't in standard, but I am thinking, so we have to gently alone
a old functions

Regards

Pavel Stehule