Moving a live production database to different server and postgres release

От Ulas Albayrak
Тема Moving a live production database to different server and postgres release
Дата
Re: Moving a live production database to different server and postgres release  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I’m in the process of moving our production database to a different
physical server, running a different OS and a newer release of
postgreSQL. My problem is that I’m not really sure how to go about it.

My initial idea was to use WAL archiving to reproduce the db on the
new server and then get it up to date with the logs from the time of
base backup creation to the time the new server can get up. That was
until I found out WAL archiving doesn’t work between major postgreSQL
releases.

I can’t make a simple pg_dump – pg_restore and then redirect traffic
when the new server is up either, because during that time new data
will have been inserted in the original db.

My best idea so far is to do a pg_dump and somehow archive all the DML
in the original db from that point in time for later insertion in the
new db, but I don’t know how that would be done practically. And I
don’t even know if that’s the best way to go, as I said, it’s only an
idea.

If anyone can give me some ideas on this, I’d be much obliged.

Best Regards  /Ulas