Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Дата
Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> > Agreed, we're not holding up 9.0 for it.  I think the main bit of work
>> > that would be needed to put it into contrib would be to SGML-ize the
>> > docs.  Don't know if Bruce has got the time to get that done.
>>
>> Creating the SGML docs is trivial, especially compared to the 9.0
>> release notes SGML.  ;-)  It will take only an hour --- I am basically
>> going to merge the README and the INSTALL file, remove mentions about
>> migrating to < 9.0, and add SGML markup.  I labored on README and the
>> INSTALL files for a long time and can't figure out how to improve them.
>
> Oh, and I will remove the C code that was used to migrate _to_ pre-9.0
> databases.  People can use the pgfoundry version for such cases. I have
> specifically not created a pgfoundry release of pg_migrator that
> migrates to 9.0.  (It worked for the 8.5 numbering.)

I wonder if this is just going to lead to us maintaining two versions
of pg_migrator, which wouldn't be awesome.  I don't think it's going
to be practical to retain all the migration code for every pair of
versions forever, but I'm reluctant to start changing things just
because we're sucking the thing into our main tree.  Especially things
that sound suspiciously like features.

...Robert