Re: DBI::Oracle problems

От Howard Rogers
Тема Re: DBI::Oracle problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Just thought I'd write back to say that (I think!) it had nothing to do with the software version, and everything to do with me knowing more about Oracle than PostgreSQL!

I had not been sure how to get PostgreSQL to re-start every time the server bounced, so I followed the advice I'd seen in a number of tutorials dotted around the place (for example, http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-fedora-linux-install-postgresql-server/ or http://wiki.scinterface.com/index.php/HowTo:_Install_PostgreSQL) , which involved simply issuing the command 'chkconfig on'.

That turns out to have been a mistake: from what I can guess, it means the PostgreSQL service starts before the Oracle environment variables are set.

If instead I simply did 'chkconfig off' and then manually started PostgreSQL (postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &), then all worked fine, as many times as I liked, and no matter how often I logged off and back on. I dare say some fiddling with the startup script will enable me to do the chkconfig on AND have my environment variables picked up correctly.

Frustrating, nevettheless, but at least it's fixable.

Regards
HJR

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:24 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:10:02AM +1000, Howard Rogers wrote:
> I am stumped, despite working on this for a week! I am trying to create a
> 64-bit postgresql 8.4 database server which can retrieve data from various
> 64-bit Oracle 10gR2 and 11gR2 databases.

Try downloading the latest version of DBI-Link using the "Download
Source" link at <http://github.com/davidfetter/DBI-Link>

There is also a low-traffic mailing list for the project, where
questions like this are more on point :)

Cheers,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

Remember to vote!