Re: querying the version of libpq

От Massa, Harald Armin
Тема Re: querying the version of libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> We could add a PQlibpqVersion(), maybe, but it would be many years
> before client code could rely on that being present.

I think we should.

And in a small way they can already - if they check for it
dynamically, they'll know if it was 9.1 or newer at least :-) It'll be
a long time before it's *easy* to use though. But if we don't add it
now, it'll be even longer...

and an additional argument: Isn't it a wise decision for clients, to allways use the newset libpq, independent of the server? As younger libpqs happily connect to older servers AND are supposed to have less bugs.

As libpq is very small, can be statically linked into applications and there are no license troubles, I can see no argument to use something that is not brand new... (compared to other databases with 120megabyte clients with longer licence restrictions than documentations...)

Or am I missing sth?

Harald

--
GHUM GmbH