Re: unlogged tables

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: unlogged tables
Дата
Re: unlogged tables  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: unlogged tables  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, so we're proposing a hierarchy like this.
>>
>> 1. PERMANENT (already exists).
>
>> 2. UNLOGGED (what this patch currently implements).
>
>> 3. UNSYNCED (future work).
>
>> 4. GLOBAL TEMPORARY (future work).
>
>> 5. LOCAL TEMPORARY (our current temp tables).
>
> All of the above would have real uses in our shop.
>
>> It's possible to imagine a few more stops on this hierarchy.
>
> Some of these might be slightly preferred over the above in certain
> circumstances, but that's getting down to fine tuning.  I think the
> five listed above are more important than the "speculative ones
> mentioned.
>
>> I don't particularly care for the name UNSYNCED
>
> EVANESCENT?
>
>> I'm starting not to like UNLOGGED much either
>
> EPHEMERAL?
>
> Actually, the UNSYNCED and UNLOGGED seem fairly clear....

I think Andrew's suggestion of VOLATILE is pretty good.  It's hard to
come up with multiple words that express gradations of "we might
decide to chuck your data if things go South", though.  Then again if
we go with Andres's suggestion maybe we can get by with one level.

Or if we still end up with multiple levels, maybe it's best to use
VOLATILE for everything >1 and <4, and then have a subordinate clause
to specify gradations.

CREATE VOLATILE TABLE blow_me_away (k text, v text) SOME OTHER WORDS
THAT EXPLAIN THE DETAILS GO HERE;

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company