Re: Regression testing for psql

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Regression testing for psql
Дата
Re: Regression testing for psql  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
>>     Add regression testing for psql backslash commands
>>
>>     This patch adds rather extensive regression testing
>>     of the psql backslash commands.  Hopefully this will
>>     minimize issues such as the one which cropped up
>>     recently with \h segfaulting.  Note that we don't
>>     currently explicit check all the \h options and that
>>     pretty much any catalog changes will mean that this
>>     needs to also be updated.  Still, it's a start, we can
>>     reduce the set of tests if that makes sense or they
>>     become a problem.
>
> And..  it's way too big to send to the list.  The patch is available
> here:
>
> http://snowman.net/~sfrost/psql-regress-help.patch
>
> Of course, if people want to suggest tests that just shouldn't be
> included, I can go through and strip things out.

Well...  I'm a little reluctant to believe that we should have 3.3M of
tests for the entire backend and 5M of tests just for psql.  Then,
too, there's the fact that many of these tests fail on my machine
because my username is not sfrost, and/or because of row-ordering
differences on backslash commands without enough ORDER BY to fully
determine the output order.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company