Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:11 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I have applied this patch, with modified wording of the "cannot connect"
> case:
>
>        $ pg_ctl -w -l /dev/null start
>        waiting for server to start.... done
>        server started
>        warning:  could not connect, perhaps due to invalid authentication or
>        misconfiguration.

This patch breaks the behavior that "pg_ctl -w start" waits until the standby
has been ready to accept read-only queries. IOW, pg_ctl without this patch
continues to check the connection even if the connection is rejected because
the database has not been consistent yet. But pg_ctl with this patch treats
that rejection as success of the standby starting and prints the above
messages.

I agree to treat the receipt of password request from the server as success
of the server starting. But I don't think that we should treat other rejection
cases that way and change the existing behavior.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center