Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres

От jigar shah
Тема Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres
Дата
Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres  (Rosser Schwarz <rosser.schwarz@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
thanks Scott. i have read and used this article a lot of times before.

in section 24.3.2, step number 3 says

"3. Perform the backup, using any convenient file-system-backup tool such as tar or cpio. It is neither necessary nor desirable to stop normal operation of the database while you do this. "

so instead of tar or cpio, i am looking for the procedure where you can use hardware level snapshots of the postgres filesystem, which you can take on san (3par) or nas (netapp) or any other vendor hardware, and then mount the postgres filesystem snapshot to a different host.

i know a lot of ppl use this procedure, but cant find a good doc for this procedure.

regards
Jigar

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM, jigar shah <jshah1982@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Postgres Guru’s
>>
>> Do you guys know the procedure to use hardware snapshots (for eg 3par) to
>> restore postgres database? Is there somewhere I can find good documentation
>> to do this?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/continuous-archiving.html
>
> is a good place to start.

Specifically this section:

24.3.2. Making a Base Backup

--
"luck is truly where preparation meets opportunity"
--Randy Pausch

Сообщение: Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres
Сообщение: Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres