Re: pg/linux How much swap relative to physical memory is needed?

От Cédric Villemain
Тема Re: pg/linux How much swap relative to physical memory is needed?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2010/6/10 Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca>:
> On Thursday, June 10, 2010, Kelly Burkhart <kelly.burkhart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Should I be concerned?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> The default Linux kernel settings will tend to swap stuff out to make more
> memory available for filesystem cache. You can lower the value set in
> /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to decrease this tendency. I don't think it's
> hurting anything, though; it just has pages it thinks can be usefully
> swapped out.

you can read
    * /usr/src/linux/Documentation/vm/overcommit-account
to get more info.

But depending of your OOMKiller mode, the size of the swap is used to
determine the total commit memory.
So if your swap is too small with huge RAM, and mode 2 for OOM you
might not used all of your available memory.