Re: How do I configure pgAdmin to ask for username when connecting to a server?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: How do I configure pgAdmin to ask for username when connecting to a server?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Roger Demetrescu <roger.demetrescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 09:35, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
> wrote:
>>
>> Le 22/03/2011 13:14, Roger Demetrescu a écrit :
>> > [...]
>> > When registering a new server in pgAdmin, the field Username is
>> > required. The problem is I have several databases in my servers, each
>> > one with its own owner.
>> > So, if I need to connect to customer1_db, I have to change the
>> > properties of Username at the server configuration to 'customer1'.
>> > When I need to connect to customer2_db, I have to change username to
>> > 'customer2', and so on...
>> >
>> > Is there any way to force pgAdmin to ask for username AND password
>> > just before I connect to the server? IMHO it is more practical than
>> > the current approach I am forced to follow.
>> >
>> > Maybe I am missing something here, so any advice would be very
>> > appreciated.
>> >

>> You can't right now. But I agree that this is something I would like to
>> have too (mostly for testing purpose). And it feels more pratical this
>> way.
>
> If the username is specific to the database, then it doesn't make sense to
> ask for it when connecting to the server. What is required (I think) is the
> ability to specify a role for each database. It would be stored as a
> per-user setting alongside the schema restriction.

But wouldn't that require me to connect to the server as 'postgres' ?

No, it would require you to connect as one particular user, but not necessarily postgres.

Otherwise how would you allow one to play as 'user2' in database2 if
he connected as 'user1' in the server ?

By selecting a different role as I suggested.

Anyway, I never heard about one been able to play multiples roles
using the same connection.

Different databases always have different connections.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: How do I configure pgAdmin to ask for username when connecting to a server?
Сообщение: Re: How do I configure pgAdmin to ask for username when connecting to a server?