Re: SHARE locks vs. DELETE in SERIALIZABLE mode (Was: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: SHARE locks vs. DELETE in SERIALIZABLE mode (Was: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/5/11 Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org>:

>>> Will SELECT ... FOR SHARE not help?
>>
>> Try it, with the example above.  I think you'll find that it doesn't.
>
> That example does in fact work. Here is the precise sequence of commands I tested with constraint checking triggers
implementedin PL/PGSQL.
[...]
> The serialization error, however, disappears if the two transactions are swapped. The following sequence of commands
succeeds,even though the FK constraint is not satisfied.

Thanks for figuring this out.  I thought there was a case like this
but I couldn't remember exactly how to reproduce it.

> C1: BEGIN
> C1: INSERT INTO child (parent_id) VALUES (0)
> C2: BEGIN
> C2: SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
> C2: SELECT TRUE -- Take snapshot *before* C1 commits
> C1: COMMIT
> C2: DELETE FROM parent WHERE parent_id = 0 -- Works!
> C2: COMMIT
>
> It seems that while SHARE-locking a concurrently deleted row causes a serialization error, deleting a concurrently
SHARE-lockedis allowed. I do wonder if this shouldn't be considered a bug - whether locks conflict or not does not
usuallydepend on the other in which they are taken.

Wait - I'm confused.  The DELETE in your example happens after C1
commits, so C1 can't still be holding any locks (nor does C2 take any
locks prior to the commit of C1).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company