Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Дата
Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 08:13 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
>>
>>> "Efficency", if i am allowed to call it this way. The new hex
>>> representation should be more efficient to retrieve and to handle than the
>>> old one. I think bytea_output was set to hex for testing purposes on the
>>> first hand, but not sure wether there was a consensus to leave it there
>>> finally later.
>>
>> Yeah, we intentionally set it that way initially to help find stuff that
>> needs to be updated (as DBD::Pg evidently does).  It's still TBD whether
>> 9.0.0 will ship with that default or not.
>
> given how much faster the new format is (or rather how slow the old one
> was) and the number of people I have seen complaining "why is bytea so
> slow) I would like to see it staying turned on by default. However this
> also depends on how quickly database driver developers can adapt.

I would favor waiting a release to turn it on by default, precisely to
give driver developers time to adapt.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

От: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta