Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:54:01AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

> >> Yeah, we intentionally set it that way initially to help find stuff that
> >> needs to be updated (as DBD::Pg evidently does). ?It's still TBD whether
> >> 9.0.0 will ship with that default or not.
> >
> > given how much faster the new format is (or rather how slow the old one
> > was) and the number of people I have seen complaining "why is bytea so
> > slow) I would like to see it staying turned on by default. However this
> > also depends on how quickly database driver developers can adapt.
>
> I would favor waiting a release to turn it on by default, precisely to
> give driver developers time to adapt.

Changing something like that within the minor release arc is
not a good idea. It would be better to have it on by default and
if the driver developers are not up to use it, they can have that
as a setting that they will need to change when going to 9.0. I
would be very upset to have a minor upgrade break my database. At
least the major upgrades have more testing.

Regards,
Ken

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta