Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?
Дата
Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?
Список pgsql-general
On 25 January 2011 22:27, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to put some images on Base64 in a PostgreSQL database. Wich
> type should I use and what is the difference between using bytea or
> text to store Base64?

I really don't think you want to do that. Base64 is used to make
binary data 7-bit safe for compatibility with legacy systems (i.e. to
embed arbitrary binary data within ASCII). Sometimes people escape
binary data as base64 to store it in their DB, but they typically
store it as bytea. Base64 probably isn't even a particularly good
choice for escaping binary, let alone storing it.

You should just use a generic escaping function. libpq has
PQescapeByteaConn(), for example.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?
Сообщение: Re: Store base64 in database. Use bytea or text?