Dynamic data model, locks and performance

От Pierre Thibault
Тема Dynamic data model, locks and performance
Дата
Re: Dynamic data model, locks and performance  (Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello people of the Postgresql world!

I am wondering if Postgresql would a great choice for my database needs.

I would like to create a db with dynamic data model. I would like to be able to add tables and columns to existing tables while other queries are running.

Will Postresql be able to manage the locks correctly? Am I pushing Postgresql too far by wanting to do something like this? If so, what do you suggest instead?

Also, I would like to be able to have millions of tables in my database. As I know, Postgresql uses one file per table. So is this problem related to performance about mapping correctly the files with the file system? Is Posgresql able to handle this kind of charge?

--
A+

Pierre