Re: BUG #5652: Optimizer does wrong thing with partitioned tables

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: BUG #5652: Optimizer does wrong thing with partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Mladen Gogala <mgogala@vmsinfo.com> wrote:

> Jeff, that's the problem. Functions like "MAX" are rather ordinary and
> frequently used. Using sequential scan to read all partitions is the wrong
> thing to do. I agree that AVG() cannot be computed using index but MAX() and
> MIN() can. I will send you personally 2 versions of a script that I am still
> writing, just to see to what extent do I go to get the necessary
> performance. Optimizer definitely needs fixes when it comes to partitions.

IIRC, the planner already has been tweaked to allow index scans on MAX
for single tables.  This of course did not happen within a stable
branch.

The question over whether this is a "bug" or a "feature" depends to a
large extent on how one defines a bug.  I would be inclined to call
this a "bug" for discussion purposes since it causes the planner to
make plan choices that are well known to be problematic in these
cases, but it I would not be in favor of correcting this in a stable
branch.  My reading of the change log is that it is rare that changes
to long-standing behavior in general, and particularly for the
optimizer, occur within a stable branch.  Given that this is
long-standing behavior, I think it is worth accepting that it is not a
"bug" we might want fixed within a stable release.

I agree with the suggestion that a discussion start on -hackers.  I
still think it is a problem that should be fixed.  Just not in a
stable branch, esp. because this has a reasonable workaround (changing
to an order by... limit 1).

I guess what I am trying to suggest here is that "bug" and "feature"
are not distinct categories which have no overlap.  Where software,
like an RDBMS, is mission-critical, I think it is a good practice to
do what the Pg developers do and avoid making unnecessary changes
within a stable release.  This means that some "bugs" should be
treated as "features" where the behavior is longstanding, a workaround
is possible, and the fix likely to involve changes to important
components.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Сообщение: Re: BUG #5652: Optimizer does wrong thing with partitioned tables
Сообщение: Re: BUG #5652: Optimizer does wrong thing with partitioned tables