Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:09:43PM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> I'm all in favor of a nice tutorial section in the docs.  But I
>> certainly don't want pgsql docs to mimick the mysql docs method of
>> using a tutorial method for most of the beginner information.  It's so
>> dang hard to find anything I want in the mysql docs because of it.
>> Once you're somewhat familiar with the db, having to slog through
>> pages of tutorial to find the bits you want is counterproductive.  The
>> easy-peasy entry level mentality of the mysql docs works against
>> experienced users.
>
> +1
>
> I spent half an hour today trying to find the various ways MySQL has
> for controlling charsets.  The TOC is unusable and even using the index
> it can sometimes be very frustrating to find something.  Postgres has
> outstanding docs right now!  It would be a shame to change that.

For an extra added bonus, show a click-path from the front page
mysql.com to the documentation.  I gave up and just entered
mysql.com/documentation which kicked off the search engine and let me
click somewhere into the 5.1 docs.  Yes I know they're on
dev.mysql.com but still, it feels like a total brochure site from the
front end.