Re: proposal: FOREACH-IN-ARRAY (probably for 9.2?)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: proposal: FOREACH-IN-ARRAY (probably for 9.2?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> All true, but in the absence of any plausible candidate for third or
>>> fourth or fifth types of iteration, this objection seems a bit thin.
>
>> Well, Heikki just pointed out one that Oracle supports, so that makes
>> at least #3...
>
> If you posit that we might someday wish to support what Oracle is doing
> there, it seems to me to be a precedent for using a different first
> keyword, not for what you're suggesting.  I'm not arguing that we might
> want to duplicate Oracle's syntax; only that if it's going to be cited
> as a precedent that we consider what it's actually a precedent for.

I don't quite follow what you're getting at here.  My goal was to try
to think of something more mnemonic than FOREACH, and I thought
something involving the word "element" or "array" would do the trick.
The problem is only to find a place to put it that's before the word
"IN".  But maybe that's hopeless and we should just go with FOREACH.

>>> I'm afraid that's only really feasible if you are willing for the second
>>> word to be a fully reserved word, so it can be distinguished from a
>>> plain variable name in that position.
>
>> What if we cheat and peak ahead an extra token?
>
> plpgsql's parser is rickety enough that I don't have a lot of confidence
> in its ability to do things that way.

Bummer.  Rickety is not good.

--
Robert Haas