Bikeshedding on enum vocabulary

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Bikeshedding on enum vocabulary
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Wow, this must be the most difficult smallest thing I have ever seen
> discussed in pg-hackers.  It doesn't seem like there are enough votes
> in any particular direction.  Now *this* is proper bikeshedding.
>
> Should we ask more openly in another thread, with a different, more
> catchy subject?

Well, as someone coming to enums from a C/C++ background, element is
the last thing I would have thought.  _My_ scale of intuitiveness is:

1) label (my normal vocabulary when talking about enums)
2) identifier [constant] (when talking spec-type jargon)

Never have I thought of the enum label as either a "value", or an
"element".  That's not to say anyone else hasn't thought of them
differently.  Obvously ;-)

</bikeshed>

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,