Re: Simplifying replication

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Simplifying replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:

>> > Yes, but the complicated formula would then be *in our code* instead of
>> > being inflicted on the user, as it now is.
>>
>> I don't think so - I think it will just be inflicted on the user in a
>> different way.  We'd still have to document what the formula is,
>> because people will want to understand how often a checkpoint is going
>> to get forced.
>>
>> So here's an example of how this could happen.  Someone sets
>> max_wal_size = 480MB.  Then, they hear about the
>> checkpoint_completion_target parameter, and say, ooh, goody, let me
>> boost that.  So they raise it from 0.5 to 0.9.  Now, all of a sudden,
>> they're getting more frequent checkpoints.  Performance may get worse
>
> Uh, checkpoint_completion_target only controls flushing of buffers
> between checkpoints, not the frequency of checkpoints.

According to the formula in our fine documentation, if you increase
checkpoint_completion_target, the maximum number of WAL files also
increases.  This makes sense: the files from the last checkpoint can't
be removed until further along into the next cycle.  Therefore, if you
wanted to increase the checkpoint_completion_target while keeping the
maximum amount of WAL on disk the same, you'd need to trigger
checkpoints more frequently.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company