Re: directory archive format for pg_dump

От Joachim Wieland
Тема Re: directory archive format for pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> I think I'd like to see a separate patch for the new compression
> support. Sorry about that, I realize that's extra work…

That part of the patch is likely to get rejected outright anyway,
so I *strongly* recommend splitting it out.  We have generally resisted
adding random compression algorithms to pg_dump because of license and
patent considerations, and I see no reason to suppose this one is going
to pass muster.

I was already anticipating that possiblitiy and my inital patch description is along these lines.

However, liblzf is BSD licensed so on the license side we should be fine. Regarding patents, your last comment was that you'd like to see if it's really worth it and so I have included support for lzf for anybody to go ahead and find that out.

Will send an updated split up patch this weekend (which would actually be four patches already...).

Joachim