Re: improved parallel make support

От Dave Page
Тема Re: improved parallel make support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland@siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting. Doesn't EDB's PostgresPlus package include PostGIS, and
>>> isn't
>>> its Windows version build with MSVC?
>>
>> Yes - it's a PITA as we have to have a dummy build of the server in
>> mingw/msys to compile PostGIS and Slony. We're probably going to be
>> looking at that in the not-to-distant future as we want 64bit builds
>> of both and will be using VC++.
>
> Just for the record, a lot of work was done in the 1.4 release series to
> make MSVC builds possible, and indeed several people have reported success:
>
> http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2009-March/005102.html
> http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2010-September/010299.html

Cool - that will help.

> The two main outstanding issues as I see it are:
>
> 1) The GTK-based GUI for shp2pgsql (although if someone wanted to sponsor
> work to convert to wxWidgets to bring us in line with pgAdmin, that would be
> strongly considered).

:-)

> 2) Maintenance of the MSVC build system. So far we have had some complaints
> about not using MSVC, but then no-one has stepped up to maintain the build
> system for it. Forcing all existing developers to suddenly start maintaining
> the Windows build is a total non-starter.

Unless you're making major architectural changes, it shouldn't take
any real effort to add/remove the occasional source file. I'm sure
there are folks that could be persuaded to do that occasionally.

> My hope is that one day CMake will enable us to come up with a universal
> solution, but we're some way from that yet.

We used CMake for a couple of projects, but ended up abandoning it for
new stuff. It just didn't work as nicely as we wanted.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company