Re: improved parallel make support

От Mark Cave-Ayland
Тема Re: improved parallel make support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> Interesting. Doesn't EDB's PostgresPlus package include PostGIS, and isn't
>> its Windows version build with MSVC?
>
> Yes - it's a PITA as we have to have a dummy build of the server in
> mingw/msys to compile PostGIS and Slony. We're probably going to be
> looking at that in the not-to-distant future as we want 64bit builds
> of both and will be using VC++.

Just for the record, a lot of work was done in the 1.4 release series to
make MSVC builds possible, and indeed several people have reported success:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2009-March/005102.html
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2010-September/010299.html

The two main outstanding issues as I see it are:

1) The GTK-based GUI for shp2pgsql (although if someone wanted to
sponsor work to convert to wxWidgets to bring us in line with pgAdmin,
that would be strongly considered).

2) Maintenance of the MSVC build system. So far we have had some
complaints about not using MSVC, but then no-one has stepped up to
maintain the build system for it. Forcing all existing developers to
suddenly start maintaining the Windows build is a total non-starter.

My hope is that one day CMake will enable us to come up with a universal
solution, but we're some way from that yet.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk