Re: Todays git migration results

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Todays git migration results
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:45, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:27, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Second, does git offer a way to collate matching log entries across
>>> multiple branches?
>
>> But what really is the usecase there?
>
> Generating back-branch update release notes, mainly.  We usually do that
> first for the newest back branch, and then copy paste and edit as needed
> into the older ones.  It's a lot easier to see what needs to be adjusted
> if you're looking at something like

>        * src/backend/: catalog/namespace.c, utils/cache/plancache.c
>        (REL9_0_STABLE), catalog/namespace.c, utils/cache/plancache.c
>        (REL8_3_STABLE), catalog/namespace.c, utils/cache/plancache.c
>        (REL8_4_STABLE), catalog/namespace.c, utils/cache/plancache.c: Fix
>        Assert failure in PushOverrideSearchPath when trying to restore a
>        search path that specifies useTemp, but there is no active temp
>        schema in the current session.  (This can happen if the path was
>        saved during a transaction that created a temp schema and was later
>        rolled back.)  For existing callers it's sufficient to ignore the
>        useTemp flag in this case, though we might later want to offer an
>        option to create a fresh temp schema.  So far as I can tell this is
>        just an Assert failure: in a non-assert build, the code would push
>        a zero onto the new search path, which is useless but not very
>        harmful.  Per bug report from Heikki.
>
> than half a dozen independent lists.
>
> I've also found that answering questions about when some old patch got
> added is easier from this format than I think it'd be if I had only
> per-branch lists.  I do have both the combined log history and
> per-branch log histories at hand (from separate cvs2cl runs), but I find
> that I hardly ever consult the latter.

Hmm. Ok.

I don't know if it does, so I'll hope someone else can tell us if it does :-)

BTW, you do have things like "git log --grep=foo" to search the log
directly, instead of working through cvs2cl output of course, but that
doesn't quite solve your problem, I can see that.

> It's not a showstopper, but if git can't do it I'll be disappointed.

If there's no way to do it offhand, I'm pretty sure we can write a
short script that does it for us.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/