Re: Todays git migration results

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Todays git migration results
Дата
Re: Todays git migration results  (Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:27, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Second, does git offer a way to collate matching log entries across
>> multiple branches?

> But what really is the usecase there?

Generating back-branch update release notes, mainly.  We usually do that
first for the newest back branch, and then copy paste and edit as needed
into the older ones.  It's a lot easier to see what needs to be adjusted
if you're looking at something like

* src/backend/: catalog/namespace.c, utils/cache/plancache.c(REL9_0_STABLE), catalog/namespace.c,
utils/cache/plancache.c(REL8_3_STABLE),catalog/namespace.c, utils/cache/plancache.c(REL8_4_STABLE),
catalog/namespace.c,utils/cache/plancache.c: FixAssert failure in PushOverrideSearchPath when trying to restore asearch
paththat specifies useTemp, but there is no active tempschema in the current session.    (This can happen if the path
wassavedduring a transaction that created a temp schema and was laterrolled back.)  For existing callers it's
sufficientto ignore theuseTemp flag in this case, though we might later want to offer anoption to create a fresh temp
schema. So far as I can tell this isjust an Assert failure: in a non-assert build, the code would pusha zero onto the
newsearch path, which is useless but not veryharmful.  Per bug report from Heikki.

than half a dozen independent lists.

I've also found that answering questions about when some old patch got
added is easier from this format than I think it'd be if I had only
per-branch lists.  I do have both the combined log history and
per-branch log histories at hand (from separate cvs2cl runs), but I find
that I hardly ever consult the latter.

It's not a showstopper, but if git can't do it I'll be disappointed.