Re: solaris slow

От Felipe de Jesús Molina Bravo
Тема Re: solaris slow
Дата
Список pgsql-general

El 2 de agosto de 2010 19:14, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> escribió:
 On 08/02/10 7:35 AM, Felipe de Jesús Molina Bravo wrote:
Hi

I have installed postgres 8.4.4 (libxml and plperl)on a Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Fire 880 with:

- 4 700Mhz processors

Also I have installed postgres (8.4.2) on a PC (Dell Optiplex 960) with the next characteristics:

- 3 Gb ram
- 1 processor of 3.2 Ghz Dual Core

dual 3.2Ghz Core2 processor cores are going to be far faster than a 9 year old quad 700Mhz ultrasparc-III's, regardless of the operating system.

If you want to compare operating system performance, you should do so on the same hardware platform.

btw, the standard disks on a SunFire 880 are FC-AL not SCSI... old 1Gbps FC, I believe, with 36-146GB 10K rpm FC drives standard, with all the internal drives sharing the same 1Gbps FC port.

Another factor, if your linux system was using LVM (its the default storage configuration on many distributions), there's a pretty good chance the drive mapper is ignoring write barriers, which greatly speeds up random writes at the expense of reliable commits.

My file-system is  Reiser 3.

I try with "CACHE turned on"  (recommendation from Josua ... thanks) with the same results.

I tried to migrate my database from the PC to Sun ... with the same performance.....but I can not

My conclution is:

  I'll ever get similar performance because the technology of PC is more recent than SUN ....

thanks to all for your answers

see you