Re: Addition to TOAST documentation in 8.4 comprehensive manual

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Addition to TOAST documentation in 8.4 comprehensive manual
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin
<atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, how about my more specific proposal, in the form of a patch, please?  (it is
> below in my quoted email of 8 Jan 2011.)
>
> It's my first time offering a patch for PostgreSQL documentation, please let
> me know if I've done it right or if I should change something.

The patch you've proposed doesn't apply to the master branch for me,
but I guess what I'm more concerned about is that I don't think the
next fits very well in the spot you've proposed to put it.  The docs
already contain this paragraph:

<para>
If any of the columns of a table are <acronym>TOAST</>-able, the table will
have an associated <acronym>TOAST</> table, whose OID is stored in the table's
<structname>pg_class</>.<structfield>reltoastrelid</> entry.  Out-of-line
<acronym>TOAST</>ed values are kept in the <acronym>TOAST</> table, as
described in more detail below.
</para>

So if we need this, it seems like it ought to go right next to that,
rather than farther down.  But in fact, that paragraph pretty much
already contains the information you're proposing to add, just phrased
slightly differently.  So I'm not sure any change is warranted.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company