Re: Installing Contrib Modules with a Precompiled Binary

От Aram Fingal
Тема Re: Installing Contrib Modules with a Precompiled Binary
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Dave Page wrote:

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Aram Fingal <fingal@multifactorial.com> wrote:
I'm using the OS X precompiled binary from EnterpriseDB and want to add the tablefunc contrib module.  I haven't been able to find any documentation about how to do this or even whether modules can be added to this binary version.

It's the same as the source version except you don't need to build the
binary - just run the SQL script from the share/ subdirectory of the
installation.

So that means something like:

psql -d dbname -f /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/share/postgresql/contrib/tablefunc.sql

I suppose that it may be a good idea to export my databases and compile from source anyway.  I see that Postgres is running as a 32-bit application while I have a 64-bit machine and OS (OS X, Snow Leopard.)

The 9.0 release supports 32 and 64 bit Intel machines.

I suppose that I will have to export and re-import the databases when I upgrade?  That may be worth it but I'll do it later.  I do have some some very intensive queries, which take a long time to run, but I gather (from Tom Lane's comment) that switching to 64-bit will only help if the query would benefit from utilizing large amounts of RAM (like more than 2GB?)  A single query will still run on a single processor core.  I do have 8GB RAM in the machine but my databases are just not that big.

-Aram