Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] python-dateutil in pgdg96 rhel7 repo

От Pim Rupert
Тема Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] python-dateutil in pgdg96 rhel7 repo
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi Devrim,

> On 19 Feb 2017, at 11:38, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2017-02-18 at 14:07 +0100, Pim Rupert wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the PostgreSQL 9.6 yum repository for RHEL/CentOS 7 overwrites
>> the 'python-dateutil' package from the RHEL/CentOS 7 base repositories with a
>> newer version.
>
> Right, because the python-dateutil package provided in RHEL 7 is not sufficient
> for pgadmin4. That is why I had to add ~30 dependencies to PGDG yum repo, and
> -dateutil is one of them.
>
>> It would be great if the PostgreSQL yum repository followed best practices
>> from the Safe Repo initiative. Ideally the PostgreSQL yum repository does not
>> obsolete stock packages.
>
> Actually we *try* to do that, but there are some exceptions -- like this case.

Awesome that you try to do it. However, it only takes one exception to break with the rules.

You probably know that it's not only annoying, but it can have pretty grave consequences for some systems if stock
packagesare overwritten. Perhaps you have already thought about it, but I still would like to suggest finding a
solutionfor this problem.

You could separate the base PostgreSQL packages (safe) from an extras repo (non-safe). For example, I (and many more)
onlyneed the PostgreSQL packages, and have no need for third-party extras such as pgadmin4.

I can offer to help if that is desired.

Kind regards,

Pim Rupert