Re: Should autovacuum do a database wide vacuum near transaction limit?

От John Lister
Тема Re: Should autovacuum do a database wide vacuum near transaction limit?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>> Hi,  I'm running 8.3.9 on ubuntu with autovacuum enabled and seemingly
>> working properly., however I've started getting messages saying that I'm
>> near the transaction limit and I need to do a database wide vacuum, which
>> I've started.
>> From reading the docs, though I thought that autovacuum would do this on
>> my behalf, is this true?
>
> It's supposed to.  Did you look around to see if AV was trying to do
> anything?

It still seems to be running occasionally vacuuming a table, according to
pg_stat_all_tables, it ran 1min ago

> It's possible you got bit by this recently-fixed bug, which caused any
> large-scale autovacuum operation to take unreasonably long to complete:

I'll have to pull in the latest versions, which unfortunately means stopping
the db, which I was trying to avoid.

On another bizarre note, A database wide vacuum has just finished, but I'm
still getting the warnings:

GMT WARNING:  database "backend" must be vacuumed within 10205310
transactions
GMT HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in
"backend

I did vacuum verbose analyze which doesn't seem to have made a difference...

doing  SELECT datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database; reports that
backend has a transaction count near 2Billion but also so does template0

am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

John

Сообщение: Re: Should autovacuum do a database wide vacuum near transaction limit?
Сообщение: Re: Should autovacuum do a database wide vacuum near transaction limit?