Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

От Igor Neyman
Тема Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Silvana Bravo
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:58 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions,
advisingor links to related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But regarding
thedata I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then,
generateinserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql script/s in
postgresqlschema.
I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not so big. Only a few tables have around
1.000.000of rows.
That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

----

Oracle has so called "heterogeneous services" that would allow to connect directly (creating db link) to Postgres ODBC
datasource, that you could point to your Postgres database.

Regards,
Igor Neyman