Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Scott Frankel
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Re: MySQL versus Postgres  ("Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@shastaherps.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On Aug 8, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Torsten Zühlsdorff wrote:

> Scott Frankel schrieb:

>>> Everyone of my trainees want such thing - for databases, for other
>>> programming-languages etc. It's the worst thing you can give them.
>>> The< will copy, they will paste and they will understand nothing.
>>> Learning is the way to understanding, not copying.
>> I couldn't disagree more.  Presenting working code (at least
>> snippets) should continue to be a fundamental part of any
>> documentation project.
>
> You missunderstand me. Working code is a fundamental part of any
> documentation. But we talk about a handbook with code that works in
> PostgreSQL and does the same thinks in MySQL.
> This way the trainees won't learn how PostgreSQL works, the just
> learn the different examples. Giving them training-problems and the
> PostgreSQL handbook is out of my experience the best way. It tooks
> longer for them to solve the problems, but in this way they are able
> to solve problems, which are not related to the presented examples.

I understand and appreciate your position.  Thanks for the
clarification.

While I believe that this thread has, for all intents and purposes,
run its course (and I look forward to reading the documentation it
informs), I'm going to go out on a limb and present an additional use-
case that may be unpopular, or at least controversial.

There are times when a documentation's audience is not interested in
taking the subject matter to expert level.  (eg:  informed supervisory
or vendor-client relationships, proof of concept development, hobbies,
&c.).  For those cases, "a working understanding" is all that's
strictly necessary.  Annotated, cookbook-style code reference is
especially well suited for that mode of learning.

Regards,
Scott