Re: MySQL versus Postgres

От Torsten Zühlsdorff
Тема Re: MySQL versus Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Scott Frankel schrieb:

> On Aug 6, 2010, at 6:13 AM, Torsten Zühlsdorff wrote:
>
>> John Gage schrieb:
>>
>>> On reflection, I think what is needed is a handbook that features cut
>>> and paste code to do the things with Postgres that people do today
>>> with MySQL.
>>
>> Everyone of my trainees want such thing - for databases, for other
>> programming-languages etc. It's the worst thing you can give them.
>> The< will copy, they will paste and they will understand nothing.
>> Learning is the way to understanding, not copying.
>
> I couldn't disagree more.  Presenting working code (at least snippets)
> should continue to be a fundamental part of any documentation project.

You missunderstand me. Working code is a fundamental part of any
documentation. But we talk about a handbook with code that works in
PostgreSQL and does the same thinks in MySQL.
This way the trainees won't learn how PostgreSQL works, the just learn
the different examples. Giving them training-problems and the PostgreSQL
handbook is out of my experience the best way. It tooks longer for them
to solve the problems, but in this way they are able to solve problems,
which are not related to the presented examples.

Greetings from Germany,
Torsten