Can't Get Going in psql

От Van Ingen, Lane
Тема Can't Get Going in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I have just finished installing v8.0.0 on Windows 2003, and the install appeared to go smoothly. I
have PostgreSQL running as a service, will be used as a single user environment at present.

I am folliwng the 'Getting Started' section of the docs (Chapter1). Didn't use much of Chapter 14
(referenced by Chapter 1) aside from setting PATH variables. I am now in section 1.3 ('Creating
A Database'). The first instruction is to test the installation by trying to use 'createdb'; it is failing
on the following message:
    createdb: Could not connect to database template1: FATAL: password authentication failed for
    user "Administrator".

Three things confusing about this:
  - not sure what I am to do with a template database (which it evidently defaulted to); I am trying to
     create a new database
  - on createdb command, I am unable to specify a user and password. It appears to want an
    "Administrator" password (server administrator or database administrator?). When I give the
     database administrator password, it gives me the error above. The only other users known to
     Postgres at all would be those defined in the install procedure ('root', for the service, AND
     'postgres', as the DB administrator); those passwords don't work.
  - Tried to invoke psql and create by database that way using users I know about from last paragraph,
     but can't even get logged in.

I am stuck and don't know what to try next.