Re: Can't Get Going in psql

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: Can't Get Going in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Jan 27, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Van Ingen, Lane wrote:

> Three things confusing about this:
>   - not sure what I am to do with a template database (which it
> evidently defaulted to); I am trying to
>      create a new database
>   - on createdb command, I am unable to specify a user and password.
> It appears to want an
>     "Administrator" password (server administrator or database
> administrator?). When I give the
>      database administrator password, it gives me the error above. The
> only other users known to
>      Postgres at all would be those defined in the install procedure
> ('root', for the service, AND
>      'postgres', as the DB administrator); those passwords don't work.
>   - Tried to invoke psql and create by database that way using users I
> know about from last paragraph,
>      but can't even get logged in.

The user/password you need to use is postgres -- for the new
installation, it is the only user in the database. You got the error
about 'Administrator' probably because you did not specify a user name
at all and it uses the Windows user name of your current login.

So you are doing something like this?

createdb.exe -U postgres -W mydb

If you are certain you have the right password, my only other
suggestion is to temporarily turn off password authentication, login,
and then reset the password. See this section on the pg_hba.conf file:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/client-
authentication.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/