Re: DBD::PostgreSQL

От David Wheeler
Тема Re: DBD::PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 08:19  AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> I think someone else said that the DBD framework already includes such
> flag ("BegunWork"?) --- if so, you should surely use that one.

No, I'm finding out that that flag is for a slightly different purpose
-- using transactions even when AutoCommit = 1.

>> So, if I understand you correctly, PostgreSQL's PREPARE statement
>> *requires* data typing in its syntax?
>
> Yup.

Damn.

> There are various ways to retrieve the datatypes of the columns of a
> table, but I'm not sure how that helps you to determine the parameter
> types for an arbitrary SQL command to be prepared.  Are you assuming
> a specific structure of the command you want to prepare?

Ouch, good point. I don't want to go there. It's a shame, really, but
in light of this requirement, I don't see how PostgreSQL prepared
statements can be supported by the DBI. Pity; I was really looking
forward to the performance boost.

Regards,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394