Re: DBD::PostgreSQL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: DBD::PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: DBD::PostgreSQL  (Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce@pobox.com>)
Список pgsql-interfaces
David Wheeler <david@wheeler.net> writes:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 10:15  PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Both of these seem pretty bogus to me.  Ideally the driver should not
>> issue a "begin" until the application issues the first command of the
>> new transaction.  Otherwise you get into scenarios where idle
>> connections are holding open transactions, and ain't nobody gonna be
>> happy with that.

> Okay. I think I'll use a flag in the driver to track when it's in a
> transaction, and do the right thing in the begin and rollback functions.

I think someone else said that the DBD framework already includes such a
flag ("BegunWork"?) --- if so, you should surely use that one.

> So, if I understand you correctly, PostgreSQL's PREPARE statement
> *requires* data typing in its syntax?

Yup.

> If so, is there an
> easy/straight-forward way to ask the server what the data types for
> each column are before executing the PREPARE?

There are various ways to retrieve the datatypes of the columns of a
table, but I'm not sure how that helps you to determine the parameter
types for an arbitrary SQL command to be prepared.  Are you assuming
a specific structure of the command you want to prepare?