Re: SHOW TABLES

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Le 18 juil. 2010 à 20:58, Andres Freund a écrit :
> On Sunday 18 July 2010 20:39:07 Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> SHOW ANY TABLE
>> GROUP BY tablename
>>  HAVING array_agg(attributes) @> array['date'::regtype, 'time'::regtype];
> Why is that in *any* way better than
>
> SELECT *
> FROM meta.tables

There are two questions here I think, really.

First is about having meta-data queries in the backend, and we want that because we want it to be easy for everybody to
haveaccess to those, whether they choose to use psql or whatever else.

Second is about why having SHOW be usable as if it where a "real" SQL query? That's because it's been said that people
willcertainly want to go further away using the facility. And now they want full SQL.

So it seems to me we're now trying to catch 2 birds with a single 'SHOW' stone.
--
Dimitri Fontaine
PostgreSQL DBA, Architecte