Re: so much to learn

От Björn Lundin
Тема Re: so much to learn
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
John Fabiani wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just installed RH 7.1 server on a 733MHz machine. I also have
> installed postgresql 7.1.3. I can run the examples from the postgres
> interactive tutorial but I can't figure out how to access the data from a
> remote computer. I have a laptop with RH 7.0 (all the network things work
> i.e. telenet,NFS) and want to be able to connect to the server to access
> the postgresql. I think I'm missing something or just don't understand
> what I'm suppose to do. What I really want to do is get Kylix to access
> the data from the laptop. I hoping someone knows how to access the
> postgres server via the network or point me to a website.
> TIA
> John

Read the Programmers guide, the chapter of JDBC interface.
There is how to set up pg_hba.conf proper for tcp/ip connections
By default, Postgre only allows local connections.

If your laptop runs windows, read the chapter of ODBC too,
else if your laptop is a Linux, you link your program with libpq.
How to do that from Kylix I don't know, but I'm using Ada,
and link with libpq, and it works fine.

Read the chapter of libpq too if you'll use it, it contains
a lot.

(this was lots of reading :-)

Björn