Re: Disabling indexes on a table

От Ron
Тема Re: Disabling indexes on a table
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 2/18/21 10:24 AM, John Scalia wrote:
> One of my developers asked me about this, and he suggested running the following update:
>
> UPDATE pg_index SET indisready=false
> WHERE indrelid = (select oid from pg_class where release = ‘his_table’);

He found that on the Internet:
https://fle.github.io/temporarily-disable-all-indexes-of-a-postgresql-table.html

> I told him it’s never a good idea to update anything in a system catalog by hand, but that I would reach out here for
abetter opinion. Am I correct that he shouldn’t try this, or is he OK to do this? His table has approximately 8
differentindexes on it, and those really slow down his bulk loads. Usually when I have to get involved, I just drop his
indexesand rebuild them afterwards, and I know that is always safe.

Disabling indices "just" saves having to run X number of CREATE INDEX
statements, which is nothing to sneeze at since it's one less place to have
to remember to update:  "REINDEX <table>;" just handles it all.

Just as importantly, the index you want to drop might be a PK supporting a FK.

(Postgresql really needs ALTER INDEX ... DISABLE and ALTER TABLE ... DISABLE
ALL INDEXES;" statements.)

От: S Bob
Сообщение: Significantly higher Read IO usage after upgrade from 10.7 to 10.11
От: Holger Jakobs
Сообщение: Re: Error after Streaming Replication