Re: Stuck LSI 9650SE-12 RAID Controller

От jayknowsunix@gmail.com
Тема Re: Stuck LSI 9650SE-12 RAID Controller
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Certainly doesn't sound like a PostgreSQL issue. Is there any sort of advanced diagnostics for the raid controller? I
certainlywould want to thrash it top to bottom before I trusted it enough to put it back in service.
--
Jay

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 5, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?
>
> Our LSI 9650SE-12 RAID Controller dropped the main Postgres disk offline ... it just disappeared as though the disk
wasn'tthere.  It was an 8-disk RAID10 unit. The other unit (RAID1 for Linux & pg_xlog) was still functional.

> Using tw_cli, it showed the array as "DEGRADED" and claimed to be verifying it. One disk in the array was "DEGRADED".
Therewas no /dev entry for the device; Linux couldn't see it at all.

> There were two hot spares, but it didn't use them. Worse, there was nothing I could do to make it do anything. Every
commandreported "Failed" and no further explanation. Booting into the RAID BIOS gave the same problem: if I selected
"rebuild"or "verify", it said "You must select an array..." even though I had selected the array. It was as though the
arraydidn't exist, yet it was shown.

> I shut off the computer, unplugged the BBU from the RAID card and plugged it back in, unplugged and reinserted all
theSATA cables, and then restarted. Exact same symptoms.

> I finally gave up trying to recover the database (we had a backup server). The RAID controller let me delete and
recreatethe degraded array, and now everything seems fine. I can rebuild the Postgres database on the new unit. But
I'velost a HUGE amount of trust in the LSI 9650-SE RAID controller card.

От: Craig James
Сообщение: Stuck LSI 9650SE-12 RAID Controller
От: Scott Whitney
Сообщение: Re: Stuck LSI 9650SE-12 RAID Controller