Re: Hardware suggestions for a new data warehouse Postgresql/Bizgres server? (£6000)

От Vivek Khera
Тема Re: Hardware suggestions for a new data warehouse Postgresql/Bizgres server? (£6000)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 26, 2005, at 7:35 AM, Filip Wuytack wrote:

> I've been lurking at both the bizgres and postgres mailing lists in
> recent
> months to get some ideas for building a new db server. I saw some
> threads on
> the 7k$ server and it sounds like the Opteron, lots of ram and
> raid10 is the
> way to go. (my budget is +/- £6000 (=$10000))

General advice: don't skimp on RAM or on your disk subsystem.  Buy a
high performance RAID solution like an LSI 320-2x card and put the
mirrored paris on the separate channels (ie, disk 0 and 1 are
mirrored, so disk 0 is on channel a and disk 1 is on channel b).
Spend the money on the U320 disks, too.  Get them as big as you can
if you're planning to warehouse data.

The opteron is ideal because it has incredible I/O bandwidth to the RAM.

Be sure to deal with a vendor who knows and supports the OS you
choose (and it had better not be windows...)

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

Вложения