Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon

От Paul Tuckfield
Тема Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ooops, what I meant to say was that 2 threads bound to one
(hyperthreaded) cpu does *NOT* cause the storm, even on an smp xeon.

Therefore, the context switches may be a result of cache coherency
related delays.  (2 threads on one hyperthreaded cpu presumably have
tightly coupled 1,l2 cache.)

On Apr 20, 2004, at 1:02 PM, Paul Tuckfield wrote:

> I tried to test how this is related to cache coherency, by forcing
> affinity of the two test_run.sql processes to the two cores
> (pipelines? threads) of a single hyperthreaded xeon processor in an
> smp xeon box.
>
> When the processes are allowed to run on distinct chips in the smp
> box, the CS storm happens.  When they are "bound" to the two cores of
> a single hyperthreaded Xeon in the smp box, the CS storm *does*
> happen.

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Moving postgres to FC disks
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon