Re: change bigint column to int

От Evan Bauer
Тема Re: change bigint column to int
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Mariel,

My suggestion was that you have confidence that you don’t find yourself 90% through the shrink process and unexpectedly find that it fails on an "integer out of range error” like this:

ares_net=# create table test_int (test_big bigint, test_int int);
CREATE TABLE
ares_net=# insert into test_int values (5000000000, 0);
INSERT 0 1
ares_net=# select * from test_int;
  test_big  | test_int
------------+----------
 5000000000 |        0
(1 row)

ares_net=# update test_int set test_int = test_big;
ERROR:  integer out of range
ares_net=#

If you already know (because of domain knowledge or because of constraints on how the data was loaded an updated) that all of your values are in the INT range, then this is unnecessary.  If you aren’t sure and you need to check the value of unindexed columns (which would require a full table scan), then do the update in a procedure that checks that the 8-byte value value will fit into 4-byte int — and does appropriate things should it not fit.

Cheers,

- Evan

Evan Bauer
eb@evanbauer.com