Re: ICU for global collation

От Andrey Borodin
Тема Re: ICU for global collation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> 21 авг. 2019 г., в 12:23, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> написал(а):
>
> On 2019-08-21 08:56, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>> postgres=# create database a template template0 collation_provider icu lc_collate 'en_US.utf8';
>> CREATE DATABASE
>> postgres=# \c a
>> 2019-08-21 11:43:40.379 +05 [41509] FATAL:  collations with different collate and ctype values are not supported by
ICU
>> FATAL:  collations with different collate and ctype values are not supported by ICU
>
> Try
>
> create database a template template0 collation_provider icu locale
> 'en_US.utf8';
>
> which sets both lc_collate and lc_ctype.  But 'en_US.utf8' is not a
> valid ICU locale name.  Perhaps use 'en' or 'en-US'.
>
> I'm making a note that we should prevent creating a database with a
> faulty locale configuration in the first place instead of failing when
> we're connecting.

Yes, the problem is input with lc_collate is accepted
postgres=# create database a template template0 collation_provider icu lc_collate 'en_US.utf8';
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# \c a
2019-09-11 10:01:00.373 +05 [56878] FATAL:  collations with different collate and ctype values are not supported by ICU
FATAL:  collations with different collate and ctype values are not supported by ICU
Previous connection kept
postgres=# create database b template template0 collation_provider icu locale 'en_US.utf8';
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# \c b
You are now connected to database "b" as user "x4mmm".

I get same output with 'en' or 'en-US'.

Also, cluster initialized --with-icu started on binaries without icu just fine.
And only after some time, I've got that messages "ERROR:  ICU is not supported in this build".
Is it expected behavior? Maybe we should refuse to start without icu?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.