Re: MSSQL -> PostgreSQL

От Roman Fail
Тема Re: MSSQL -> PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I converted a 10 gigabyte production database from MSSQL to Postgres a few months back.  I tried all the various
conversionmethods and here are my impressions:

*MS Data Transformation Services - converted all the data correctly, but it was very slow and always seemed to choke
afterabout 400,000 records.  Probably when it ran out of 2GB+ memory.

* MS bcp & psql copy - required quite a bit of hand editing to handle IDENTITY/serial columns and some other minor
issues. Too painful if there are a lot of tables.

*pgAdmin2 Migration Wizard - awesome.  No memory problems.  Not only did if figure out converting IDENTIY columns, but
itoffered the option to fold all table and field names to lower case, solving the double quote problem.   I used this
toolto convert all my tables save one, which contained VARBINARY datatypes (the wizard just ignores binary fields).  To
convertthese I had to use bcp with a special SQL Server UDF that would convert hexadecimal to octal in an escape
sequence(which is the only way the psql 'copy' command can read in binary data).  I can send you more detailed
informationand the UDF if you are interested.

Once I got the data into Postgres, my query times on the big tables were horrible compared to MSSQL, and I thought I
wouldhave to switch back.  After several days discussion on the PostgreSQL Performance mailing list (thanks guys!!!), I
figuredout that there were JOIN condition data type mismatches that prevented my indexes from being used.  This problem
isnot very intuitive and easily missed by someone with a MSSQL background.  That said, I recommend making all your
migrated'integer' datatypes settle on either 'int4' or 'int8'....because if you mix them you'll have the same problems
Idid!

One caveat of the whole migration, which probably took the most time of all....I had about 20 stored procedures and it
wasa pain to convert them from Transact-SQL to PL/pgSQL.  Once I got the hang of it it wasn't too bad, but it's not as
intuitiveas Transact-SQL IMHO.

Once I fixed that problem I was flying high - Postgres is significantly faster than MSSQL in my experience, and VERY
stable.

Roman Fail
POS Portal, Inc.