Re: inherit support for foreign tables

От Kouhei Kaigai
Тема Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > I wonder what shall be the cases when foreign table is on a server which
> does not support *all* SQL features.
> >
> > Does a FDW need to have the possible inherit options mentioned in its
> documentation for this patch?
>
> The answer is no, in my understanding.  The altering operation simply
> declares some chages for foreign tables in the inheritance tree and does
> nothing to the underlying storages.

It seems to me Atri mention about the idea to enforce constraint when
partitioned foreign table was referenced...

BTW, isn't it feasible to consign FDW drivers its decision?
If a foreign table has a check constraint (X BETWEEN 101 AND 200),
postgres_fdw will be capable to run this check on the remote server,
however, file_fdw will not be capable. It is usual job of them when
qualifiers are attached on Path node.
Probably, things to do is simple. If the backend appends the configured
check constraint as if a user-given qualifier, FDW driver will handle it
appropriately.

Thanks,
--
NEC OSS Promotion Center / PG-Strom Project
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>