Re: [INTERFACES] Java

От Peter Mount
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Java
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> This question was sent to me, and i'm wondering if it's viable
> or if anyone else has any interest in it ?
>
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> Have you any plans to make possible writing simple functions/stored
> procedures in Java to extend PostgreSQL ?
>
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> Now my question related to this, if i understand correctly
> this would mean we would need the java runtime thingy in Postgres
> and would seriously wreck our speed . Right ?

I remember writing something some months ago (check the archives) of a possible
way around this.

IIRC, I seem to remember thinking along the lines of a single JVM thats run by
the Postmaster, and when a backend calls a stored procedure thats in Java, the
first call creates a new Thread/ThreadGroup in the JVM, and any call from that
backend goes to that thread using a simple set of Interface's.

When the backend closes, the ThreadGroup is killed off.

I think that's what I originally posted, but it would take someone with a lot
of time and JNI experience to pull it off.

Peter

--
Peter T Mount      peter@retep.org.uk                Tel +44 (0) 7990 898443         Homepage http://www.retep.org.uk
       Fax UK +44 (0) 870 0568837  PostgreSQL JDBC http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/     US +1 734 661 0110